The strategic focus for the Urban Forest Strategy (UFS) Implementation Working Group (IWG) is aligned to the Town of Victoria Park’s Strategic Community Plan 2017 – 2032, the Urban Forest Strategy and the UFS Implementation Action Plan. The IWG informs the detailed planning process for UFS implementation activities.
Purpose and objective
(1) The strategic focus for the Urban Forest Strategy (UFS) Implementation Working Group (IWG) is aligned to the Town of Victoria Park's (the Town) Strategic Community Plan 2017 – 2032, the Urban Forest Strategy and the UFS Implementation Action Plan. The IWG will will provide advice and recommendations to guide the detailed planning process of UFS implementation activities.
(2) The IWG will assist in delivering the following strategic outcomes through the implementation of the UFS Implementation Action Plan:
- EN7 – Increased vegetation and tree canopy.
- CL3 – Well thought out and managed projects that are delivered successfully.
- CL9 – Appropriate devolution of decision making and service provision to an empowered community.
(3) These terms of reference are effective upon endorsement by Council and continue until 31 December 2022. Should any community member be unable to fulfil their role on the group at any point in time they may apply in writing to the CEO to be released from the group. If a member exits the group the Town may invite a replacement based upon submissions from a previous EOI process.
(4) The group shall be comprised of:
a. Three elected members
b. Six community members
c. Five officers
(5) All memberships expire at the end of the group’s term.
Roles and responsibilities
(6) Each member of the group is responsible for:
- Reviewing agendas and supplementary information prior to attending meetings.
- Attending monthly meetings.
- Actively participating and working cooperatively with IWG members.
- Ensuring that agreed actions are completed in a timely manner.
- Aligning with the Town’s vision, mission and values.
(7) Each member is expected to abide by the Town’s Code of Conduct, to have open and honest discussions and to treat each member with due courtesy and respect.
(8) The overall role of the Urban Forest Strategy Implementation Working Group is to:
- Collaborate with Town officers in the detailed planning of UFS implementation activities.
- Consider and recommend modifications annually or as required to improve the viability of UFS plans and actions.
- Monitor progress towards attaining the UFS’s goal of 20% canopy coverage and our efforts to retain existing and grow new canopy trees.
- Report to the Place Leader – Urban Forest with issues, opportunities, updates and actions.
(9) In addition to these, the specific roles for each membership type are as follows:
a. Elected members are responsible for ensuring that the group adheres to the direction set by Council, contributing from a Town-wide perspective, and ensures that delivery of the group's Objective.
b. Community members are responsible for contributing to the delivery of the group’s objectives within the scope of their skills, knowledge and capabilities.
c. Officers are responsible for conducting necessary research as required by the group, providing professional advice, and for administering its meetings.
(10) The group will elect a presiding member and deputy presiding member at its first meeting. The presiding member will be the person consulted on the day-to-day operations of the group and its required preparations, including the agenda, for its next meeting.
(11) The group will meet monthly or as required, upon the calling of the meeting by the presiding member.
(12) A meeting quorum will be at least 50% of the participating members of the group (community and elected members). Decisions are to be made by consensus (i.e. members are satisfied with the decision even though it may not be their first choice). If not possible, the presiding member can make the final decision.
(13) If a member is unable to attend the meeting, they must advise the presiding member and meeting secretary as soon as reasonably practicable.
(14) The agenda and minutes of the meeting are to be prepared by the Town, as follows:
a. The agenda will be distributed no later than three working days before the meeting on the Town’s website.
b. The minutes will be distributed no later than five working days after the meeting on the Town’s website.
(15) The group is expected to report to Council, in accordance with Policy 101 Governance of Council Advisory and Working Groups.