The strategic focus for the Urban Forest Strategy (UFS) Implementation Working Group (IWG) is aligned to the Town of Victoria Park’s Strategic Community Plan 2017 – 2032, the Urban Forest Strategy and the UFS Implementation Action Plan. The IWG informs the detailed planning process for UFS implementation activities.
The strategic focus for the Urban Forest Strategy (UFS) Implementation Working Group (IWG) is aligned to the Town of Victoria Park’s (Town) Strategic Community Plan 2017 – 2032, the Urban Forest Strategy and the UFS Implementation Action Plan. The IWG will inform the detailed planning process for UFS implementation activities.
In line with the Town’s GEN6 Public Participation Policy, the level of participation expected from the IWG is up to ‘Collaborate’. This means that the Town and community members will partner in each aspect of the decision including the development of alternatives and the identification of the preferred solution.
To ensure that the IWG continues to be fit-for-purpose and remain meaningfully engaged, members of the IWG will be appointed for the duration of 12 months, with an option to extend the term at the annual review.
Members have the option to exit the group at any time at their own discretion. If a member exits the group the Town may invite a replacement based upon submissions from a previous EOI process.
The IWG is comprised of the following members:
- Six (6) community members selected following an Expression of Interest process.
- Five (5) Town officers to be invited as required dependent on the content of the meeting agenda.
- One (1) Senior Place Leader (Urban Forest) to be an ongoing member and be responsible for coordinating the IWG and chairing the monthly meetings.
Roles, Responsibilities and Reporting
The role of the IWG is to:
- Collaborate with Town officers in the detailed planning of UFS implementation activities.
- Monitor the execution of specific tasks and adherence to timelines set within the Implementation Action Plan.
- Evaluate outcomes to consider the reasons for the relative success or shortcomings of any task trials and initiatives.
- Consider and recommend modifications to improve the viability of UFS plans and actions.
- Monitor progress towards attaining the UFS’s goal of 20% canopy coverage through analysis of annual mapping data to measure the success of our efforts to retain existing and grow new canopy trees.
- Participate in the development of a draft sustainable Town of Victoria Park Urban Forest Management Plan.
- Review and contribute to council reporting on the UFS implementation progress.
- Report to the Place Leader – Urban Forest with issues, opportunities, updates and actions.
- Liaise with communications team during meetings to help define content for the public communication of UFS implementation progress.
IWG members are required to:
- Review agendas and supplementary information prior to attending meetings.
- Attend monthly meetings.
- Actively participate and work cooperatively with IWG members.
- Ensure that agreed actions of members are completed in a timely manner.
- Comply with the Town’s Code of Conduct.
- Align with the Town’s Vision, Mission and Values.
- Ensure information discussed within IWG meetings is not publicised, allowing for Town communication processes and protocols.
IWG meetings will be chaired by the Senior Place Leader (Urban Forest) who will convene and facilitate discussions at meetings. Group issues and concerns are to be raised in the follow ways:
- Proposed as meeting agenda item for group discussion.
- Direct contact with Senior Place Leader – Urban Forest.
- Direct contact with Chief Community Planner.
It is an expectation that issues and concerns are not raised with Town of Victoria Park community, Elected Members, or CEO prior to communication via the options above.
Overall group oversight is the responsibility of the Town’s Chief Community Planner.
The IWG shall meet on a Monthly basis to ensure the frequent involvement in the detailed planning of UFS implementation activities.
The meetings will be held early on weekday mornings to accommodate group members with additional work commitments.
The meeting frequency and timing may be changed, by agreement of the group.
Meeting participants will include IWG members, Town officers and occasional invited guests (external subject matter experts).
Elected Members may attend meetings as observers at their discretion.
The IWG shall acknowledge the original custodians of the land at the commencement of each meeting.
A quorum of the IWG shall be half the total members appointed. The quorum is to comprise of at least two members from both Town staff as well as community members.
Decisions of the group will be based on a consensus outcome from the group. In the event that consensus is not reached, the decision will be put to the Chief Community Planner.
An agenda will be circulated to the group at least three (3) working days prior to a scheduled meeting. In the event where review of agenda attachments is required the agenda and attachments will be circulated at least five (5) working days prior to a scheduled meeting.
Agenda items can be raised by any member of the IWG, for consideration of the meeting chair at least seven (7) working days prior to a scheduled meeting.
The Town will maintain summary meeting notes of the items discussed at each meeting and the outcomes from discussions (please note: verbatim minutes of discussion will not be taken). The notes may be used as the basis for further action by the Town on items. The action notes will be circulated to the group within five (5) working days of a meeting being held. The meeting summary notes will be included in the UFS Implementation quarterly progress report for presentation to council.
Variations to the Terms of Reference are to be endorsed by C-Suite.