General information


Local government ordinary elections are held on the third Saturday in October every two years.

While voting in a local government election is not compulsory in Western Australia, all electors are strongly encouraged to vote.

The Town of Victoria Park’s ordinary elections are administered by the Electoral Commission and are conducted by post.

All eligible electors must enroll to receive their postal voting package.

The timetable for the 2019 Town general election is:

  • Close of electoral rolls - Friday 30 August 2019 - 5pm
  • Opening of nominations - Thursday 5 September 2019
  • Close of nominations - Thursday 12 September 2019 - 4pm
  • Ballot papers posted - Wednesday 25 September 2019
  • Close of poll - Saturday 19 October 2019 - 6pm

In the 2019 Town general election an election will be held for five members of Council:

  • Mayor of the Town;
  • Two Councillors from the Banksia Ward; and
  • Two Councillors from the Jarrah Ward.

The four Councillors elected in 2017 will retain their current seats until the 2021 election.

For more information on voting in the local government elections, visit the Electoral Commission’s website

Information for electors

How do I enroll to vote?

To enroll to vote in the local government elections visit the Australian Electoral Commission’s website

How can I find out if I am already enrolled?

You are able to check if you are enrolled to vote on the Electoral Commission’s website

I own a property in the Town of Victoria Park but do not live there, can I vote in elections?

Yes you can. Please read the Owner Occupiers Electoral Roll Information Sheet. fill out an Enrolment Eligibility Claim form and return it to the Town.

I own properties in both wards of the Town of Victoria Park. Can I vote in the election for both wards?

To vote in both wards you need to read the Owner Occupiers Electoral Roll Information Sheet, complete an Enrolment Eligibility Claim form and return it to the Town.

I run a business that occupies a property in the Town of Victoria Park but do not live in the Town, can I vote in the elections?

Yes you can. Please read the Owner Occupiers Electoral Roll Information Sheet, fill out an Enrolment Eligibility Claim form and return it to the Town.

I have recently moved house, will I still receive my postal voting package?

You will need to update your details through the Australian Electoral Commission’s website


Information for candidates

Councillors are elected for a term of four years in Western Australia. Elections are held every two years for half of the council (four Elected Members), and candidates are elected using the first-past-the-post voting system. Mayoral elections are held every four years. This election the Town will be electing the Mayor and four (4) Councillors, two (2) from each ward.

Electors who wish to nominate as a candidate in a Local Government election must complete a valid nomination application and present it to the Returning Officer before nominations close. Nominations will open on Thursday 5 September 2019 and close at 4:00pm on Thursday 12 September 2019

Electoral Gifts

Under Part 5A of the Local Government (Elections) Regulations 1997 a candidate in a local government election must disclose gifts received relating to their candidacy to the CEO of the local government for which they are standing. A gift is defined specifically in Regulation 30A but in general terms means the gifting of property, money or other financial benefit from one person or organisation to a candidate. There are additionally a number of gifts that are excluded from the need for disclosure such as those from relatives, volunteer hours or that are not related to standing as a candidate. As a general guide an election gift, is a gift that is given to a candidate for election, because they are standing for election and is worth $200 or more (whether once off or cumulatively) and includes in addition to money any form of discount, hospitality or item. For advice on if a gift received would be an election gift please do not hesitate to contact the Town for advice.

For the 2019 Town General Elections the period in which a gift is an electoral gift commences on 19 April 2019 and will conclude three days following the election on 22 October 2019. Any gift given whether accepted or declined in this period must be disclosed.

Gifts must be disclosed within three days of nominating as a candidate for an election and once a candidate within three days of receiving a gift.

 A gift cannot be accepted from an anonymous donor under any circumstances and you must have a donors name and address.

For election gifts both the donor and the candidate must disclose the gift. Failure to disclose a gift by either party may result in a fine.

You can if you intend to be a candidate in the forthcoming election it is recommended that you keep a record of your potential electoral gifts from 19 April 2019 to assist you in declaring your gifts following nominations.

The form for declaring electoral gifts can be found on this webpage or sourced from the Town.

For any queries or to submit disclosure forms or other election issues please email with your email for the attention of Governance.


For more information about nominating as a candidate, visit the Electoral Commission’s website

Previous results

The results of the previous elections for the Town of Victoria Park are available on the Electoral Commission’s website