Policy 210 Free trade area
||Free trade area
|Strategic outcomes supported
EC1 – A desirable place for commerce and tourism that supports equity, diverse local employment and entrepreneurship.
- To enable footpaths to be used by local businesses for outdoor eating areas, as well as the display of goods and signs.
- To designate area(s) of footpath as a “Free Trade Area”, permitting the use of the Free Trade Area for outdoor eating areas, as well as the display of goods relating to the business.
- To promote and enhance the vibrancy and diversity of the streetscape and surrounding area
This policy applies across the Town.
1. The Town supports and encourages activity to be undertaken within the Free Trade Area which:
a. Enhances the amenity, vitality and ambience of the Town’s trading precincts;
b. Comply with the Local Law; and
c. Do not interfere with the safe and reasonable movement of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
2. The Town has a legal obligation to keep footpaths safe and unobstructed and has developed this policy to outline the requirements associated with obtaining a Free Trade Area permit and operating within a Free Trade Area, to ensure that safe access for pedestrians is maintained.
3. This policy applies to occupiers of premises within the Town who are eligible to undertake activity within the Free Trade Area, in accordance with the Town of Victoria Park Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2000 (the Local Law).
4. Applicants are required to agree with the terms and conditions associated with the Free Trade Area permit application process.
5. Any proposals by Business owners/proprietors to extend the footprint of the free trade area or alter levels within the public thoroughfare directly in front of the business shall be assessed on a case by case basis. If approved, costs for modifications shall be borne by the applicant.
Town of Victoria Park Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2000
Policy 211 – Parklets and Alfresclets
Webform link to application process.
||Manager - Technical Services
|Next evaluation date
||Approved, Amended, Rescinded
||Reviewed and Amended
||Reviewed and Amended