Inappropriately discarded needles and syringes can be found in the community and have the potential to cause harm to individuals.
If you discover a discarded used needle or syringe, please contact Customer Service on (08) 9311 8111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your request will be allocated to an Environmental Health Officer or Waste Services for follow-up.
Discarded syringes can be a sign that there is illegal drug use or distribution occurring in the local area. This information is important for the Town and WA Police to know in order to address drug crime occurring. Please contact the Town or WA Police to report discarded syringes.
You can also collect the syringe yourself, using caution, by doing the following:
- Wear gloves.
- Use a rigid clear container with a lid (such as a milk bottle).
- Pick up the used needle by the blunt end away from the point.
- Never attempt to replace the cap on the needle.
- Put the needle point first, into the container.
- Seal the container tightly and secure the lid.
- Place the sealed container in a domestic green lid bin.
- Contact WA Police or the Town to report the syringe.