Vic Park Leafy Streets
What is the Vic Park Leafy Streets program?
Our streets play an important role in not only achieving our Urban Forest goal of 20% canopy cover but also to:
Increase tree diversity, contributing better ecology for our living environment;
Beautifying our neighbourhoods;
- Increasing the value of our suburbs;
Improving our urban health, and,
Making it a more pleasant experience to walk to and from home to work, public transport, parks or nearby Victoria Park shopping, dining or entertainment precinct.
Street trees are planted on verges. Verges are land that forms part of a street. A street comprises multiple elements, a roadway, cycling lanes, pedestrian footpaths, infrastructure corridors and trees. Trees are a vital component of streets and of our urban infrastructure. They are living infrastructure that provides a multitude of services, such as shade.
Did you know? Vic Park Leafy Streets was the main canopy cover contributor to our 2020 planting season, providing a total of 44807m2 of coverage. Find out more.
How does the Vic Park Leafy Streets program work?
Similar to the Town’s Request a Street Tree program, the Vic Park Leafy Streets initiative will see the planting of appropriately selected species of trees in suitably identified street verges around the Town’s suburbs.
The Vic Park Leafy Streets initiative will be implemented by our Urban Forest Officers (UFOs), and will work in the following manner:
- Together the UFS Implementation Working Group, and the relevant Town’s Urban Forest Place Leader will identify focus areas for street tree planting.
- Our UFOs will then walk these focus areas, identifying suitable street tree planting locations.
- Once the UFOs have identified suitable areas, they will submit a Request a Street Tree online form.
The proposal will be assessed by the Town’s Parks officer, engineers and Place Leader - Urban Forest, with an appropriate tree species then allocated for planting.
- Our UFOs will again go back out on the streets to drop off information letters postcards to residents adjacent a tree planting location which contains information on:
the tree species,
who to contact to view the street tree application completed by the UFOs, who to contact to request adjusting the location of the street tree planting,
who to contact for more questions.
- Street trees will be planted between June - September every year. Residents where nearby street trees are planted will receive information and tree care materials, requesting their assistance to help the street tree grow.
When will Vic Park Leafy Streets happen?
Vic Park Leafy Streets is a yearly initiative run by the Town’s Urban Forest Program. The Town's regular tree planting contractors will be engaged to plant the selected tree during planting season (June through to September) every year.
How you can help!
The collective benefits of an Urban Forest is dependent on all us playing many small parts to make a big difference in creating an environment for our trees to thrive in, e.g. sweeping driveways, cleaning gutters, changing our parking habits and looking after street trees near our homes.
If a street tree is planted on the verge near your home, you can help by caring for the new tree by following instructions provided.
You can request the verge adjacent to your property be included in the Vic Park Leafy Streets Program or get involved in other ways with the Urban Forest program - there are many options available to suit all levels of commitment.