Food vendors


Food vendors (temporary food businesses) such as food stalls and food vehicles trading within the Town, must obtain a permit to trade under the Town's Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2000.

All temporary food businesses are required to comply with the Food Act 2008, the Food Regulations 2009 and the Food Standards Code. For further information please also refer to the Town’s guidelines for temporary food businesses at event and FSANZ temporary food premises info sheet and stall guide which shows how a stall should be set up (links below).

Currently the Town will only permit vendors to trade at approved events. However the Town is currently developing a policy for mobile food vendors at specific locations within the Town which will be put to Council. For more information please refer to the Your Thoughts - Mobile Food Vendor Policy page.

To apply for a permit, please complete the online form using the heading link above. An application fee applies for either a single or annual permit, unless the organisation is a charity, community or fundraising group or your food business is registered within the Town of Victoria Park.

All commercial businesses are required to submit a Food Act registration certificate from your registering local government (i.e. where you are preparing food or storing equipment or food products, or where your food vehicle/trailer is garaged). You will also be required to submit proof public liability insurance of minimum $10 million.

Food safety at fund-raising events

You can refer to the Food Safety at Fundraising Events(PDF, 83KB) brochure for guidelines or speak to an Environmental Health Officer. It is highly recommended that volunteers complete the free online FoodSafe training - see heading link above for further details.  

Fund raising organisations will not be required to have a Food Act registration where any food handled in the course of conducting the food business is not potentially hazardous food (e.g. does not require temperature control) or after being appropriately cooked, is provided by the food business for immediate consumption (e.g. sausage sizzle). For any foods outside these exemptions please contact your local government to enquire about registration.

Food safety and hygiene requirements

Food business must ensure their food handling staff have the adequate skills and knowledge to undertake work in a safe environment to prevent food poisoning outbreaks. This is a requirement under the Food Safety Standards. This includes knowledge on:

  • correct hand washing and drying practices;
  • cross-contamination of raw and cooked or ready-to-eat foods;
  • temperature control and correct use of probe thermometers;
  • correct storage of all food products including potentially hazardous foods;
  • the difference between cleaning and sanitising food contact surfaces; and
  • the importance of regular and thorough cleaning of the premises including pest-control.

Please refer to the Food Safety Standards Fact Sheets published by Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ).

Free online food safety training - FoodSafe

All food handlers are required to have demonstrated food safety skills and knowledge under the Food Act 2008. If food handling staff have not completed any food safety training, the Town offers free online food safety training called FoodSafe (this has replaced I'm Alert). Users who complete the course will be able to download a certificate of completion for their records.

To access this please visit the FoodSafe website. Add the product to the cart and enter "FSVICTO351" to apply the free code (normally $35).

You can preview the course with the video below.



If you have any technical difficulties please contact Executive Officer, Environmental Health Australia at

Online permit application

A temporary food business permit (single or annual) is required to trade on public or private land within the Town of Victoria Park, under the Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2000.

Application process:

  1. Complete the online application form. Please ensure as much detail is given and all documents are uploaded to avoid delays with assessing your application.
  2. The form will be allocated to an Environmental Health Officer (EHO). They will check:
    • the Event Organiser has given you permission to trade at the event.
    • the activities and foods to be sold match the Food Act registration approval by your local government. For example if you operate a restaurant you must also notify and obtain approval from your local government to trade as a temporary premises.
    • food safety requirements have been met, such as cold storage. If the event is a long duration or is in summer, coolers with ice bricks may not be acceptable so you should plan for an alternative such as electric cooler or mobile cool room depending on your needs.
    • your Certificate of Currency shows public liability insurance of minimum $10 million and it shows the expiry date.
  3. If an application is approved, the EHO will send it to the Administration Officer. They will call you for payment over the phone (preferred method). A permit will not be issued unless payment is received.
  4. You will be issued a receipt and permit by email.


Conditions of approval:

  • Food vendors must have their permit available when trading at approved events within the Town of Victoria Park.
  • The permit holder must have permission to trade at the event by the event organiser
  • The Town’s EHO’s may inspect the temporary food business at any time during any event without prior notification to determine compliance. Where there is non-compliance, EHO’s may issue infringements, improvement notices or if a serious risk will close down the operation until such time as the temporary premises complies. The registering local government may be informed of any non-compliances.
  • The annual permit will remain valid up until 30 June each year. An email to renew the permit will be sent out by the Administration Officer. Food vendors must then reapply online and submit all required documentation to ensure records are current.
  • If you wish to prepare food before the event, you must use an approved commercial kitchen that is registered to your business under the Food Act 2008. Proof of booking is required.
  • Should there be changes to the activities or foods provided after a permit is issued, you must notify the Town. Failure to do so may result in the EHO’s directing closure of the temporary premises on the event day.



  • Single permit (one-off or multi-day event) - $86
  • Annual permit (trade at multiple events within in a financial year) - pro-rata fee $291*
  • Not-for-profit / community group / charity / sporting club / school - no charge
  • Food Act registration certificate is from the Town of Victoria Park - no charge**
  • Trading at a community/charity event and have a donation agreement with the organiser - no charge***
  • Trading at Vic Park Farmers Markets - no charge

* Annual permit holders can trade at any approved event in the Town of Victoria Park without having to pay further fees. Permit holders are required to notify the Town by email to for each event they trade at. Minimum pro-rata fee is $86.

** Food businesses that are registered under the Food Act 2008 within the Town of Victoria Park are exempt from the application fee.

*** Commercial operators who submit a copy of an agreement of donation from the fundraising organisation who is holding the event, will be exempt from the application fee. Trading at a fundraising event does not exempt you from paying the application fee.

Click here to view form.