Nomenclature of Victoria Park

What is Nomenclature? 

Nomenclature is a noun that is used to describe “1. A person’s or community’s system of names for things. 2. The terminology of a science etc. 3. Systematic naming; 4. a catalogue or register” [1] 

The nomenclature or collective group of names for all the parks, reserves, streets, lanes, and roads within the Town of Victoria Park, as in any town or city, reflects its history and development as well sometimes as its geographical features. Nomenclature is named for various themes and reasons, typically the names were chosen by two groups of people. Those being primarily, land developers, back when the area was first established and land was being parcelled and sold, and also the local governing body under which the area fell at the time. The Town of Victoria Park’s nomenclature has been mainly chosen first by Peet and Co. and other real estate companies, then by iterations of local government through the development of the area. The iterations being the Victoria Park Roads Board (1894-1897), the Municipality of Victoria Park (1897-1917); Perth City Council (1917-1994) and the Town of Victoria Park (1994-).  The Town now has in place Policy 111 Commemorative Recognition which governs how the general public can submit a nomination for Town nomenclature (and other items) and describes the process of such nomenclature being named in honour of people, groups or events.

Major themes that have been noticed in the Town’s nomenclature at present, although research is still ongoing, are:

  • British county and town names;
  • Early settlers;
  • Geographical features of the area (past or present);
  • Mayors, councillors etc. of local government; and
  • World War I servicemen from Victoria Park who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Research into the meaning behind all nomenclature in the Town of Victoria Park is ongoing and as new information comes to light it will be added to this webpage.

Town nomenclature is listed alphabetically below in the following three main categories:

  • Suburb names
  • Lanes, Roads and Streets
  • Parks and Reserves

 

Suburb names [2] 

Burswood

Burswood is derived from "Burrs-Wood", the name given to his property by the original land holder of the area, Henry Camfield. Camfield named his property "Burrs-Wood" (two 'r's) after his father’s farm in England. The area became known as Burrswood Island in 1841 when a canal was cut through the peninsula so as to shorten the trip to Guildford. The present accepted spelling of "Burswood" is the result of a spelling error by the men who painted the sign for the first railway station in the area (now Rivervale station).

 

Carlisle

Following the opening of the Perth-Pinjarra Railway on the 2nd May 1893, Haydon's Siding was constructed near the foundry of that name to the east of Victoria Park. From 1893 to 1912, the area was gradually settled and a station was built near the siding and it was first known as Mint Street but later changed to Victoria Park East. Following a meeting of ratepayers in May 1919, the name "Carlisle" was chosen for the station. Although it is said that the station was named after the railway town in England near the Scottish border as it was considered that the area was on the border between Perth and its suburbs, it is interesting to note that manager of the South West Timber Hewers Co-operative, which purchased the land and a rail spur here in 1919 was named Carlisle.

 

Lathlain

Name derived from Lathlain Park Oval which was in turn named after Sir William Lathlain. The proposal for the renaming of parts of the localities of Victoria Park and Rivervale as Lathlain was suggested by the City of Perth, and was approved in 1981. Sir William Lathlain was Mayor of Perth 1918-23 and 1930-32, and also a member of the Legislative Council 1926-32.

 

Victoria Park

The suburb of Victoria Park derives its name from "Victoria Park Estate", a development that took place here in the 1890's. It is believed the name was given to the estate because Queen Victoria was still on the throne, although it may be connected with the Melbourne suburb of Victoria Park. Victoria Park was declared a municipality in 1897.

 

 

Lanes, Roads and Streets of Victoria Park

Bush Street, St James

Bush-Street-sign-St-James-for-we.jpg

Bush Street in the suburb of St James is named in honour of Private James Willie BUSH, who was Killed in Action at Bullecourt, France on 1 October 1918. Lest We Forget this hero of Victoria Park

To read more about James, view his entry in the:

 

Buzza Street, St James

 Buzza-Street-sign-East-Victoria-Park-for-w-e.jpg

Buzza Street in the suburb of St James was named in honour of Private John Mitchell Buzza who was Killed in Action in Belgium on 7 October 1917. Lest We Forget.

To find out more about John, see his entry in the:

Edmiston Lane, Victoria Park

Edmiston-Lane-Victoria-Park.jpg

Edmiston Lane (sign), Victoria Park

Edmiston Lane, Victoria Park is named for Agnes Carmel Edmiston (nee Duffy) an Aircraftwoman in the Women’s Auxiliary Australian Air Force (WAAAF) during World War II.

Edmiston-Agnes-Carmel-nee-Duffy-service-record-photograph.png

Agnes Carmel Duffy (later Edmiston) at her enlistment into the WAAAF in 1942

(Courtesy National Archives of Australia, NAA: A9301, 99856)

Agnes was born to Patrick James and Catherine DUFFY in Victoria Park on the 6 July 1922. Prior to her enlistment in World War II Agnes worked as a Junior Clerk for the South Perth Road Board. She was one month shy of her 20th birthday when she enlisted on the 10 June 1942 and began training as a radio operator. Agnes had blue eyes, dark brown hair and was 5 foot, 3.5 inches tall. During the war she married Corporal Edward Clarence Edmiston of the Signals Corp in the Australian Army. Edward was also born in Perth but grew up in Leederville. The marriage took place on 10 August 1944 at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, Victoria. Agnes and Edward survived the war, living in Applecross and Como until their deaths, Agnes on 16 September 2010 aged 88 and Edward on the 6 January 2020 aged 98.   

 

Edmiston Lane, Victoria Park

Former name: Right-of-way (ROW) 87

Official date of naming: 17 December 2019

Naming method: A recommendation was submitted to the 19 November 2019 Ordinary Council Meeting to rename three ROW including ROW 87. Council supported the recommendation to change the name of ROW 87 to Edmiston Lane. This was formalised in Resolution 271/2019 at the 17 December 2019 Ordinary Council Meeting

Read Resolution 271/2019(PDF, 84KB)

 

 

Plummer Street, East Victoria Park

Plummer-Street-sign-East-Victoria-Park-for-w-e.jpg

Plummer Street in East Victoria Park was named in 1918 to honour Private Leslie Edward PLUMMER.  Leslie was a wireman by trade upon his enlistment in the Australian Imperial Force on the 26 June 1915. He was a member of the famed 11th Battalion. Leslie embarked for training at Tel-El-Kabir, Egypt on the ship Themistocles on the 13 September 1915, he was 21 years old. After completing training and suffering several admissions to hospital for influenza, Leslie arrived on the Western Front on the 5 April 1916. He was Killed in Action in France on the 30 May 1916, aged just 22.

Lest We Forget.

To discover more of Leslie’s story, see his entry in the:

 

 

Parks and Reserves

Charles Paterson Park

Named for Paterson, Charles Searl (1902 – 1967), refer to his biography in the:

 

Raphael Park

Raphael Park in the suburb of Victoria Park is named for Howard Stirling Raphael (1900-1944)

Howard Raphael was a Councillor in the Victoria Park Ward of the Perth City Council (PCC) from 1924 and the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Victoria Park from 1930 until his death in 1944.

To read more of Howard's story see his article in the:

View-across-Raphael-Park-as-seen-from-Armagh-Street-side-park-sign-in-image-12.01.2021-for-w-e.jpg  

Above: View across Raphael Park as seen from Armagh Street side, park sign in image (12 January 2021)

 

 Row-of-ficus-trees-along-side-of-Raphael-Park-facing-Armagh-Street-VP-1-12.01.2021-for-w-e.jpg

Above: Row of ficus trees along side of Raphael Park facing Armagh Street, Victoria Park (12 January 2021)

 

 

 



[1] Pearsall, J. and Trumble B. (eds.) 1996, The Oxford English Reference Dictionary, 2nd edn, Oxford University Press, Oxford, p. 986

[2] The text of this section is courtesy of Landgate: https://www0.landgate.wa.gov.au/maps-and-imagery/wa-geographic-names/name-history/historical-suburb-names