Do I need development approval?

Development approval

Development approval is generally required if you wish to develop or change the use of your land.

What is exempt from requiring development approval?

Development exempt from development approval

Certain types of development are exempt from requiring development approval in Western Australia. A summary of exemptions include:

  • Internal building works (unless heritage listed)
  • Erection or extension of a compliant single house*
  • Erection or extension of a compliant  additions including an ancillary dwelling, outbuilding, boundary wall, patio, garage, carport on the same lot as a single house or grouped dwelling*
  • Demolition of a single house, ancillary dwelling, outbuilding, boundary wall, patio, garage or carport (unless heritage listed)
  • Temporary works or use in existence for less than 48 hours
  • Installation of a sign compliant with the Town's Local Planning Policy 38 - Signs
  • A permitted "P" use without any works component
  • A home office. 

The above list is a simplified guide only, and certain circumstances may result in the above items still requiring development approval. Examples include development located in a bushfire prone area, special control area, or heritage listed place. Please refer directly to the Schedule 2, clause 61 of the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 for the full list of exemptions and any associated conditions and/or qualifying requirements.

* Please note a compliance single house or additions only applies where the development is fully compliant with the Residential Design Codes or those deemed-to-comply-requirements of the R-Codes that are varied by the Town's Local Planning Policy 25 - Streetscape and Town's Local Planning Policy 26 - Boundary Walls.

In addition to the above exemptions, the Town's Local Planning Policy 32 - Exemptions from Development Approval, provides further exemptions specific to the Town of Victoria Park. 

Other Council approvals may be required

Where a development is exempt from requiring development approval, other Council approvals may still be required - such as a building permit, occupancy permit, crossover permit, work zone permit, public building approval or food business approvals.

Development approval exemption verification

In order to assist landowners and applicants in determining whether or not a proposed development is exempt from the requirement for development approval and if other Council approvals are required, the Town offers a planning service.

This planning service will provide you with written confirmation on whether or not your proposed development complies with relevant planning requirements and is exempt from development approval and information about other Council approvals that are required. The cost of this service is $73.

How do I apply?

The 'Request for Verification of Exemption from Development Approval' form can be found on our Forms page. The request form can be lodged with the Town electronically by sending all the required documents to or by lodging the request in person at the Town’s administration building at 99 Shepperton Road, Victoria Park.

What's the process?

Within 10 working days a Planning Officer will assess whether the proposed development is compliant with relevant planning requirements and will provide confirmation in writing.

Where the proposal is non-compliant, the proposal can either be amended to comply with all requirements, or a development application will need to be lodged for the proposed development.

This application is required to be in the form of a standard development application, with all relevant forms, plans and documentation being lodged with the Council. Please note that the $73 fee paid in respect to your initial verification request will be credited towards the applicable development application fee, where development approval is required.