What does a strategic town planner do?
A strategic town planner is typically responsible for clarifying what kind of city model is desired for an area and working towards that goal. This includes coordinating the many different elements that affect a city such as:
- How the Town will meet its population density targets and meet the challenges of population growth;
- How to best distribute the many different land uses in the Town;
- How can we plan for a resilient and sustainable future that will ensure the health and desired living conditions of our community;
- How we can protect the culture of the Town including its heritage, social values and the non-physical elements that make Victoria Park special; and
- How to best infuse the community vision in the strategic direction of the town.
The Town of Victoria Park Strategic Planning unit uses many policies and documents to achieve it's desired future. The role of the documents and policies is to capture the long term vision, and strategies the Town will use to achieve them. Current major projects can be found on the Works and Projects page.
The Town's long term vision
In considering how Western Australia will be in the future, the state government has allocated the Town of Victoria Park a dwelling target of an additional 19,400 dwellings (houses, apartments, etc) to be developed by 2050. This means that the Town will have to more than double the current number of dwellings it has (based on 2011 numbers). The Town is committed to achieving this growth while minimising any negative impact on the existing residential and commercial areas and while retaining the character of Town. This means that the Town will need to determine which areas are suitable for higher density development to accommodate the growing population and which areas should be retained for lower density, family style houses with back yards. In addition, with all the new dwellings there will be a significant increase in the Town’s population, which means that services and facilities will need to be planner for, such as sufficient parks and recreation facilities, areas for employment such as activity centres and industrial areas and that the transport system supports increased population growth. Feel free to check the Works and Projects page to see the key projects being done to prepare the Town for future.
To access the Towns current major projects, click on the Works and Projects page.