Steps to starting a business

To set up a business in the Town of Victoria Park, follow the below steps.

If you are at the very beginning of preparing your business plan, start at step one. If you already know how you are going to run your business and all that comes with it, start at step two.

Step 1. Speak with the Small Business Development Corporation or visit their website.

The Small Business Development Corporation can give you free practical advice for the preparation needed before you start your business. They can also help you assess your business idea, build your business plan, chose your business structure and figure out your finances.

Address: Level 2, 140 William St, Perth
Phone: 133 140 

Step 2. Find a location in the Town of Victoria Park that suits your business.

Once you have your business plan ready, the next step is to find a location that suits your business. For up to date available locations visit: or Commercial Real Estate

Alternatively, check out some of the co-working spaces in the Town listed on Officespace.

To ensure that your business will be operating in compliance with relevant planning, building and health legislation follow the steps below. Additionally, you can access the Small Business Development Corporation blog in the following link for helpful information on setting up a new business in new a premises.

Step 3. Determine current land use

For the type of business you want to operate whether it's retail, food, production etc, you will need to check the land use on the premises to see that it complies. You may require a change of use if you are changing the type of business that is on a specific site (eg. from café to hair salon). For this, you should talk to a town planner to determine the land use. Town planners can be reached through 9311 8111.

Step 4. Determine building compliance

If you are changing the layout or undertaking renovations for your business, some premises will need building compliance to make sure it complies with standards for safety. For this a town planner will advise if you need to speak with a building surveyor.

Step 5. Determine health compliance

Many premises will also require health compliance, especially restaurants, bars and cafes. For this, you will need to speak with a health officer at the Town which will help you determine the type of health compliance you need.

If you have a new idea for a business or want to find out more about the economy of the Town of Victoria Park call 9311 8111 or email