Grow it Local Festival
Grow It Local is your local grow community. A celebration of backyard, balcony, community and window-sill farmers across the country.
The Town of Victoria Park is one of the first to proudly support this initiative and are encouraging local growers to ‘put their patch on the map’ at growitlocal.com. Register your patch, outline what’s growing and highlight your interest in connecting with other local growers to share or sell your produce, knowledge, space or skills. Likewise, aspiring growers can log on, see what’s growing locally, connect with experts and get involved.
The program will run year-round, but first up, look out for the Grow it Local Festival, a community-powered idea from 4-10 November in and around Perth. The festival has a knowledge and skill sharing theme and invites edible gardening and local food loving Australians to host and attend workshops, events and tutorials. Local Town of Victoria Park residents can get involved by attending or hosting a free or ticketed event.
Log on, get involved and curate your own contribution at growitlocal.com
And keep up to date with your local Grow community here:
Facebook group: www.facebook.com/pg/GrowItLocal/groups/
What is Grow it Local?
Grow it Local is a grass roots, purpose-driven mission to get more people growing, sharing and eating locally grown foods.
Who is it for?
Grow it Local is for everyone! Participants include:
- Green thumbs and food growers
- Sustainability enthusiasts
- Foodies and artisans
- Composters and worm-farmers
- Community gardens
- Local groups and organisations
- Local food business
Why get involved?
- GROW: Get inspired by seeing who’s growing locally and what’s under cultivation.
- SHARE: Connect with local growers to learn and share knowledge, expertise, produce, recipes and more.
- EAT: Attend local food experiences that celebrate local produce, growers, chefs and like-minded businesses.
How does it work?
- Head to growitlocal.com and select ‘Add you patch.’ You’ll be guided through the registration process to name your patch, add photos, list what you’re growing, how much space you have under cultivation and what you’re interested in. Next, head over to the map and see who else is growing near you.
- Head to growitlocal.com and select ‘Grow it Local Festival.’ Select ‘Sign up’ and you’ll be taken to the registration form. After confirming your email, log back in and ‘Post a new listing’ or use the search bar to find events, classes and workshops near you.
What does it cost?
Thanks to the support of Town of Victoria Park the program is free for residents to participate in. Participation in workshops and events on the marketplace may incur a small fee dependant on the grower hosting the event. See the marketplace for details.
Why is council involved?
Grow it Local is one of a number of council initiatives designed to encourage positive sustainable living behaviours and food systems, facilitate community building and support waste education and organic waste diversion from landfill.
Monday, 04 November 2019 | 07:00 AM
- Sunday, 10 November 2019 | 05:00 PM