Property maintenance

Overgrown, untidy & unsightly land

Residential properties must not be kept in an overgrown, untidy or unsightly state. This includes private land that has:

  • rubbish
  • accumulation of disused materials including shopping trolleys car bodies, tyres, machinery and machinery parts
  • overgrown vegetation
  • discarded bottles, containers or packaging
  • decayable waste.

Overgrown vegetation can become a harbour for rats and other pests. It can also become a fire hazard. Refer to the Fire hazards page for further information.

Overhanging vegetation

Property owners are responsible for ensuring that vegetation, including any tree, hedge or shrub is not extending beyond their boundary or encroaching onto public footpaths, public right-of-ways or obstructing the view of motorists. If your neighbour has overhanging vegetation, you are permitted to trim back to the boundary line, but cuttings belong to the owner of the vegetation. Therefore you should always speak to your neighbours before disposing of them. For more information on overhanging vegetation refer to the Legal Aid website. Disputes relating to this issue are a civil matter and unfortunately the Town cannot assist, unless a tree is dangerous.

Dilapidated, unsafe & vacant properties

Owners are required by law to ensure their properties are regularly maintained so they remain in a safe condition, even if vacant. Vacant properties can provide a haven for squatters, who can cause significant property damage. To prevent issues with squatters, always ensure vacant buildings are secured. Report an antisocial behaviours to the local police station.

To report a problem

The Town encourages residents to try to solve the problem amicably by talking to the owner or occupier themselves. Often people are unaware that their activity or lack of property maintenance is causing a problem and are usually happy to address the problem after being notified.

To report an issue with a property, please call Customer Service on 9311 8111 or email with your contact details and address of the property of concern. Your request will be allocated to an Environmental Health Officer or Ranger (for fire hazards) for follow-up.