Composting at home

Reduce the amount of food waste going to landfill with home composting. Read on for tips and tricks to help make you a composting champion!

Choose a composting system that works for you

Think about location, motivation levels and the amount of waste you produce. Popular systems include worm farms, compost tumblers and bokashi bins.

Learn about the composting process

Aim for about 60 per cent carbon-rich ‘brown’ matter (e.g. cardboard and dry leaves) to 40 per cent nitrogen-rich ‘green’ waste (e.g. lawn clippings and kitchen scraps).

Keep a container for food scraps in sight

A handy location in the kitchen will break the habit of throwing everything in the bin. Make sure it can be completely closed to avoid attracting flies.

Be patient

Composting takes time, but the wait is worth it! If you have space, use multiple compost systems so you can add to one while the other is ‘cooking’.

What to put in your compost bin or worm farm

  • Fruit and vegetable scraps (cut small so they break down faster)

  • Coffee grounds and tea bags (remove staples or metal packaging)

  • Grass cuttings, leaves and other garden waste

  • Cardboard, shredded paper, tissues and paper towels

  • Natural fabrics like cotton and hemp (small amounts only - avoid poly blends)

Note: Keep meat, fish and dairy items away from traditional composting methods and worm farms (although you can place them in bokashi bins).

Find out more about home composting and other solutions for your kitchen waste at wastesorted.wa.gov.au

Waste Sorted logo