Temporary food business permit

Food vendors

Food vendors (temporary food businesses) such as food stalls and food vehicles trading within the Town, must obtain a permit to trade under the Town's Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2000.

All temporary food businesses are required to comply with the Food Act 2008, the Food Regulations 2009 and the Food Standards Code. For further information please refer to the Town’s guidelines for temporary food businesses at events and Food Standards Australia New Zealand temporary food premises info sheet and stall guide (links below).

To apply for a Temporary Food Business Permit, please fill out the form below.

Temporary food business and itinerant food vendors policy 

The Town adopted a policy for mobile food vendors at the August 2019 Ordinary Council Meeting. Food vendors will only be permitted to trade on Council land in conjunction with an approved event and itinerant vendors will not be permitted. The policy formalises the Town’s current practices/approval requirements which have always permitted the trading of mobile food vendors, subject to certain restrictions. A copy of the policy can be downloaded below.

Policy 406 - Temporary Food Businesses and Itinerant Food Vendors 

Food Safety and hygiene requirements 

Food business must ensure their food handling staff have the adequate skills and knowledge to undertake work in a safe environment to prevent food poisoning outbreaks. This is a requirement under the Food Safety Standard 3.2.2.

This includes knowledge on:

  • correct hand washing and drying practices
  • cross-contamination of raw and cooked or ready-to-eat foods
  • temperature control and correct use of probe thermometers
  • correct storage of all food products including potentially hazardous foods
  • the difference between cleaning and sanitising food contact surfaces

For more information, refer to Food Standards Australia New Zealand below. 

Infobites - Food Standards Australia New Zealand 

Food safety at fundraising events

Under the Food Act 2008, a food business is defined as: ‘a business, enterprise or activity that involves the handling of food for sale or the sale of food, regardless of whether, subject to section 6, the business, enterprise or activity concerned is of a commercial, charitable or community nature or whether it involves the handling or sale of food on one occasion only’. Therefore people who prepare food for sale as part of a community or charity group, are deemed to be food businesses for the purposes of the Act and compliance is required with the Food Safety Standards

Fundraising organisations will not be required to have a Food Act registration where:

  • any food handled in the course of conducting the food business is not potentially hazardous food (e.g. does not require temperature control); or
  • after being appropriately cooked, is provided by the food business for immediate consumption (e.g. sausage sizzle).
  • For any foods outside these exemptions please contact your local government to enquire about registration.

Fundraising activities can include preparation of foods at home however there are some restrictions. High risk foods like meat, eggs, dairy product and salads are not permitted to be prepared at home. Should you wish to produce potentially hazardous foods for sale, you will need to do so in an approved kitchen.

Low risk foods can be prepared at home. These are generally dry products, products with a high pH, high sugar content or very low water activity. These sorts of foods limit microbial growth so the risk of food borne illness is low. Examples are:

  • Jams and marmalades
  • Flour based products such as biscuits, shortbread, scones, buns, muffins and cakes (which do not contain potentially hazardous foods such as custard or cream)
  • Nougats, fudges, meringues, Turkish delight
  • Dry curry powder and spice mixes (if ingredients are purchased from an approved food business)
  • Pickled onions
  • Herb vinegars with a pH of less than 4.5
  • Chutneys, relishes and sauces that are heat treated by boiling or cooking
  • Cake decorating

Simplified trading partnership permit

A partnership between the Town of Victoria Park, City of Canning and City of Gosnells makes it easier to trade at approved events in their areas.

The Simplified Trading Partnership Permit (STPP) is for all registered food businesses wanting to trade at approved events in any of the participating local government areas.

You can make an initial application online at any participating local government, ideally the local government that is hosting the first event you intend to trade at. You will need to apply for the permit at least two weeks (14 days) prior to trading at your first event.

As of 2023-24 you no longer need to submit a 'notification' to the Town of Victoria Park or other participating local governments (City of Canning and City of Gosnells) each time you are attending a different event. You now simply start attending approved events within each Local Government once you have your annual permit, subject to the consent of the event organiser. 

To apply for your annual permit, please complete the online form below. Please note all permits are only for trading at approved events, upon invitation of the event organiser.

  • If your first event this financial year is located in the Town of Victoria Park, click the Temporary Food Business Application Form below.
  • If your first event is in the City of Canning you can apply here.
  • If your first event is in the City of Gosnells you can apply here.

Application process

Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed. Applications received 7 days before an event are subject to late fees or rejection.


Complete form 

Complete the online application by clicking the Temporary Food Business Application Form below. Please ensure as much detail is given and all documents are uploaded to avoid delays with assessing your application.

Application assessed

The form will be allocated to an Environmental Health Officer (EHO). They will check:

  • the Event Organiser has given you permission to trade at the event.
  • the activities and foods to be sold match the Food Act registration approval by your local government. For example if you operate a restaurant you must also notify and obtain approval from your local government to trade as a temporary premises.
  • food safety requirements have been met, such as cold storage. If the event is a long duration or is in summer, coolers with ice bricks may not be acceptable so you should plan for an alternative such as electric cooler or mobile cool room depending on your needs.
  • your Certificate of Currency shows public liability insurance of minimum $10 million and it shows the expiry date.

Application approved

If an application is approved, the EHO will send it to the Administration Officer. They will call you for payment over the phone (preferred method). A permit will not be issued unless payment is received.

Issue permit

You will be issued a receipt and permit by email.

Conditions for approval

  • Food vendors must have their permit available when trading at approved events within the Town of Victoria Park.
  • The permit holder must have permission to trade at the event by the event organiser
  • The Town’s EHO’s may inspect the temporary food business at any time during any event without prior notification to determine compliance. Where there is non-compliance, EHO’s may issue infringements, improvement notices or if a serious risk will close down the operation until such time as the temporary premises complies. The registering local government may be informed of any non-compliances.
  • The annual permit will remain valid up until 30 June each year. An email to renew the permit will be sent out by the Administration Officer. Food vendors must then reapply online and submit all required documentation to ensure records are current.
  • If you wish to prepare food before the event, you must use an approved commercial kitchen that is registered to your business under the Food Act 2008. Proof of booking is required.
  • Should there be changes to the activities or foods provided after a permit is issued, you must notify the Town. Failure to do so may result in the EHO’s directing closure of the temporary premises on the event day.

Application fees 

Permit Type Fee Note
Single permit (one-off or multi-day event)  $50
Annual permit (trade at multiple events within in a financial year $180 (pro-rata)
Not-for-profit / community group / charity / sporting club / school  Free
Food Act registration certificate is from the Town of Victoria Park Free Food businesses that are registered under the Food Act 2008 within the Town of Victoria Park are exempt from the application fee.
Trading at a community/charity event and have a donation agreement with the organiser Free Commercial operators who submit a copy of an agreement of donation from the fundraising organisation who is holding the event, will be exempt from the application fee. Trading at a fundraising event does not exempt you from paying the application fee.
Trading at Vic Park Farmers Market  Free The Vic Park Farmers Market has a fee exemption from Council. If you wish to trade at any other events you are required to pay the annual fee.
Simplified Trading Partnership Permit

$115 first application

$57 each additional vehicle/ trailer

Annual application is $115 for one stall/ vehicle / trailer. If you want to have multiple vehicles/ trailers on your STPP permit there is an additional fee of $57. After receiving your initial permit simply notify the subsequent local governments (Victoria Park, Gosnells and Canning) online if you plan to trade at an approved event within their boundaries.

Online permit applications

Temporary food business permit

A temporary food business permit (single or annual) is required to trade on public or private land within the Town of Victoria Park, under the Activities on Thoroughfares and Trading in Thoroughfares and Public Places Local Law 2000.

Please allow 14 days for your application to be processed. Applications received 7 days before an event are subject to late fees or rejection.

Apply now

 Related information

Food Standards Code

FoodSafe - Training

Town of Victoria Park's temporary food business requirements for events

Temporary food premises info/stall guide (Food Standards Australia New Zealand)

Policy 406 - Temporary Food Businesses and Itinerant Food Vendors

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?