Building information and FAQs


The Town's Building service area is responsible for assessing applications for building permits, demolition permits, occupancy permits, building approval certificates etc. and ensuring that all building work complies with the Building Code of Australia and relevant standards.  

Prior to lodging a building application, please confirm if development (planning) approval is required for the proposed works. Further information can be found on the Town's webpage Do I need development approval?

Do I need a permit?

Building permit requirements are based on the scope of building work. The below document is based on an interpretation of the Building Regulations 2012. For further information, please visit DMIRS' website. 

Please note: development (planning) approval may be required for the proposed works. Further information can be found on the Town's webpage Do I need development approval?. 

Related information

Do i Need a Building Permit


If you are an owner-builder for building work which requires a registered building contractor, you are required to obtain owner-builder approval from Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.  You may obtain the owner-builder application package from DMIRS' website. 

To obtain a copy of the National Building Specification, please refer to the NATSPEC Construction Information website.  

Construction Training Fund Levy

The Construction Training Fund (CTF) levy is applied to all residential, commercial and civil engineering projects undertaken in Western Australia where the total value of construction is more than $20,000. 

Payments can be made directly to the Construction Training Fund online or to the Town of Victoria Park as the collection agency.  If you have paid the levy directly to CTF online, please attach a copy of the levy receipt to the Building application as proof of payment.  On the other hand, if you wish to pay the levy to the Town, you are required to complete a unique CTF levy form and submit it along with the Building application.  You may obtain the unique CTF levy form from the Town's Building department or from CTF by emailing  Please note that the CTF levy will then be included as part of the application fees and you will not be required to pay the levy a second time to CTF directly.  

Notices of Completion and Cessation

The builder or demolition contractor named on a permit must issue a Notice of Completion (BA7) to the Town of Victoria Park within seven days of completion of the work in accordance with s.33 of the Building Act.  The Notice of Completion must also be accompanied by each relevant inspection or test certificate. The builder or demolition contractor remains liable for the building or demolition complying with the Building Act until a Notice of Cessation or a Notice of Completion is issued. 

Where there is a change to the building contractor after a building permit has been issued,  the responsible building contractor is required to submit a Notice of Cessation along with a scope of completed work to the Town of Victoria Park.  The owner of the building can apply for a new responsible building contractor for the remaining scope of work. 

Related information 

BA7- Notice of completion 

BA8 - Notice of cessation 

Home indemnity insurance

Home indemnity insurance is required for residential building work exceeding $20,000 in value. Please refer to DMIRS' Home Indemnity Insurance publication. 

Where there is a change to the building contractor, the new builder named on the building permit should obtain home indemnity insurance for the proposed building work or the stage of building work required. 

Building application processing time frames 

It is important to make sure the building application is complete at lodgement. If an application is incomplete, we may stop the clock, ask for missing information and set a time by when it must be provided, or the application may be rejected. 

The Town of Victoria Park has 10 business days to determine Certified building permit (BA1), Demolition permit (BA5), Occupancy permit (BA9), Occupancy permit strata (BA11), Building approval certificate (BA13) and Building approval certificate strata (BA15) applications. 

We have 25 business days to determine Uncertified Building permit (BA2) (Class 1a and Class 10 buildings and incidental structures only) applications.  


Demolition permit information 

A demolition permit is required for the demolition, dismantling or removal of a building or incidental structure. 

Please lodge your application online at Lodge and Track an application. 

Information to be submitted with demolition permit application 

A demolition permit application must be accompanied by: 

  • relevant information as required, eg site plans indicating building to be demolished. Please note: applicants may need to provide more details for commercial or complex buildings; 
  • evidence of prescribed notifications (r. 19(2): 

(a) notification of the name, address and contact number of the applicant for a demolition permit and the name of the permit authority to which the application is made to be given to the Heritage Council of Western Australia if the place to which the application relates— 

(i) is subject to a Heritage Agreement made under the Heritage Act section 29; or 

(ii) is entered in the Register of Heritage Places established under the Heritage Act section 46; or 

(iii) is subject to a Conservation Order under the Heritage Act section 59; or 

(iv) is subject to an Order in Council made under the Heritage Act section 80; 

(b) the notification required under the Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996 regulation 3.119; 

(c) notification of the intended demolition work to each person who provides electricity, gas, telephone or water services to the place that is the subject of the application. 

  • evidence that the building or incidental structure to be demolished has been treated to ensure that it is not infested by rodents at the time of the demolition; 
  • appropriate consent forms or court orders where work adversely affects other land; 
  • where asbestos is present, details of the contractor; 
  • payment of the prescribed fee and levy (if applicable); and 
  • copy of development (planning) approvals (if applicable)* 

The person named as demolition contractor may be required to be appropriately licensed by WorkSafe to carry out demolition work and may also require an asbestos removal licence. 

Note - development (planning) approval is only required where the property is heritage listed or demolition works involve a common or shared wall with another building or dwelling.  

Related Information 

BA5 - Application for demolition permit 

Demolition Check List

Worksafe WA Demolition Work Code of Practice 

Worksafe Licence and Registration Search 

Asbestos removal during demolition

Asbestos was commonly used in building materials prior to 1987. Asbestos fibres can be present in a number of products including: 

  • Roofing, shingles and siding   
  • Exterior wall cladding 
  • Fencing 
  • Thermal boards around fireplaces 
  • Gaskets in wood stoves 
  • Textured paints 
  • Backing material in flooring/tiles 
  • Water or flue pipes 
  • Insulation of pipes/heaters 

Asbestos is always present in the air we breathe, so we are all exposed to a low level every day, however, this is highly unlikely to lead to asbestos-related disease. Generally, undisturbed asbestos cement products do not pose a health risk, as the fibres are bound together in a solid cement matrix, such as in asbestos fences. However, if the material is damaged or disturbed, fibres may be released into the air. Asbestos can pose a serious health risk if not removed safely. 

For further information about disease risk refer to the Department of Health website. 

 Related Information 

Identification of asbestos

It is impossible to confirm asbestos with the naked eye, as the fibres present are microscopic. There are several fencing products that look like asbestos, but there are a few factors to consider which will help determine the likelihood the product is asbestos. 

If a fence is cement-like and the age is pre-1990 then it is likely to be asbestos. The typical characteristic features of corrugated asbestos fences are: 

  • Brand name of “Super Six” (non-asbestos is commonly named “Hardifence” and looks more like compacted sheets of cardboard). 
  • Usually seven ridges per one metre wide panel (non-asbestos usually have five ridges). 
  • Use of diamond shaped metal fasteners (non-asbestos normally have none). 
  • Having a hessian (crosshatch-like) surface pattern (non-asbestos vertical linear dimple pattern). 
  • Having asbestos cement capping (non-asbestos have metal capping however asbestos capping often may be missing or been replaced by metal capping). 

 For further information on identification refer to the Department of Health website and guidance notes. 

Removal of asbestos

All asbestos cement products can be removed safely without causing a risk to the public or workers provided safe work procedures are followed. 

Persons removing asbestos cement products must comply with the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992, the Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996 and Environmental Protection (Controlled Waste) Regulations 2004. Persons removing more than 10m2 of bonded asbestos are required to hold an asbestos license, issued by the Department of Commerce (WorkSafe WA). 

Refer to the Department of Health website for further information.  

Amendments to the asbestos regulations

As of 24 January 2017, the Health (Asbestos) Regulations 1992  were amended to include infringement penalties to enable local government better enforcement provisions for asbestos removal offences. A Code of Practice has been drafted, but will not be implemented until a further stage of the Public Health Act 2016 is introduced.  

An infringement of $2,000 can be issued for anyone who is found storing, breaking, damaging, cutting, maintaining, repairing, removing, moving, or disposing of, or using any material containing asbestos without taking reasonable measures to prevent asbestos fibres entering the atmosphere.  

For frequently asked questions on the amendments, refer to the Department of Health website. 

A list of prescribed offences and infringement amounts can be found on the Department of Health website. 

Disposal to landfill sites

Within the metropolitan area, asbestos cement waste must be disposed of in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Protection (Controlled Waste) Regulations 2004. Material containing asbestos must be: 

  • Separated from all other waste. 
  • Wrapped in heavy duty plastic to prevent asbestos fibres entering the atmosphere during transportation by road. 
  • Clearly labelled and marked 'CAUTION ASBESTOS'.  

All asbestos material must be disposed of at a landfill or waste disposal site licensed by the Department of Environment Regulation. The nearest facilities to accept asbestos waste area: 

Licensed asbestos removalists

Please refer to the Department of Commerce website to find a licensed removalist. 

Dust control 

Dust nuisance is a considerable issue during demolition of property especially during dry conditions. If you are completing demolition, you must ensure dust escape is minimised as far as practicable. It is an offence under the Health Local Law 2003(PDF, 328KB) for an owner or occupier (which includes demolition companies) to cause or permit the escape of dust from premises in such quantity as to cause a nuisance.   

It is important that dust control measures are put in place as a preventative. You should consider: 

  • applying a constant water supply or binding agent to the areas or activities which are likely to produce quantities of dust 
  • erecting temporary screening (with adequate porosity) to a minimum 2m in height on boundaries 
  • ensuring unsealed areas where vehicle and machinery are moving about are also subject to dust suppression 
  • ensuring stockpiles of loose material likely to cause a dust nuisance are adequately stabilised or covered 
  • notifying adjacent property owners or occupiers at least 48 hours prior to the commencement of any potential dust-causing activity so they have time to arrange alternative times to undertake household chores such as washing and cleaning.  


The Town of Victoria Park has 10 business days to determine Certified building permit (BA1), Demolition permit (BA5), Occupancy permit (BA9), Occupancy permit strata (BA11), Building approval certificate (BA13) and Building approval certificate strata (BA15) applications. 

We have 25 business days to determine Uncertified Building permit (BA2) (Class 1a and Class 10 buildings and incidental structures only) applications.  

To report a dust problem

Contact the Enviromental Health team via email provide your contact details and address of the property of concern. 

Applications that involve food and public buildings

When you lodge a Certified Building permit (BA1) application that involves food and/or public buildings, please contact our Environmental Health department on (08) 9311 8111 to find out about separate approvals that are required from them.   

Building information sheets

Building - canvas awnings

Building - rainforest timbers

Building - retaining walls

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?