Restaurants and cafés approvals

The steps below provide a brief guide on the approvals and permits typically required for food businesses from our Planning, Health and Building teams.  

Will your business sell or supply liquor? Click here. 


Depending on where you intend to operate your food business, you may be exempt from requiring planning approval.  

Speak to our Planning Services to check the approved use of the premises is compliant with the type of business you want to operate. For more information, please visit the Planning page below 

Planning information and FAQs

If you have questions, please speak to a Planning Officer on 9311 8188 or email  


Where there are any structural installations or alterations you will need a building permit.  

Works involving alterations and additions to an existing building will usually require a building permit as the proposed fit-out could affect the way the building complies with the Building Code of Australia and applicable Australian standards.  

For more information on the building permit process and fees, please visit the below pages: 

Building services information and FAQs

Building forms and fees

To find what building permit you require contact the Building Services Team on 9311 8188 or email  


If you are opening a new food premise or taking over an existing food premise you will need to submit a food business registration/notification application form 

Food vendors (temporary food businesses) such as good stalls and food vehicles trading within the Town, must obtain a permit to trade.  

For more information on the registration process, approval requirements and to download an application form, please click the following links.  

Food business guidelines for design, construction and operation 

Temporary food business permit

Liquor licencing

Food safety training

If you have questions, speak to an Environmental Health Officer on 9311 8111 or email  


If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?