Citizenship Ceremonies

For information on eligibility and how to apply for Australian citizenship, please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection:

Citizenship Information Line:  13 18 80  

Customer Service Centre
Level 3
Wellington Central
836 Wellington Street
West Perth WA 6005

If you have already applied for Australian citizenship and you have a query regarding your citizenship ceremony, please see the FAQs below.

When and where are citizenship ceremonies held?

The Town holds citizenship ceremonies about once a month in the function room at the administration building at 99 Shepperton Road Victoria Park. Registration is from 5.30pm, with the ceremonies commencing at 6pm. Ceremonies usually finish between 6.45-7pm. 

How can I find out when my citizenship ceremony will be?

The Town is unable to provide you with a ceremony date until we receive notification from the Department of Home Affairs that you have been approved for citizenship. Once the Town receives this notification, you will be booked into the next available ceremony and sent an invitation. If you change your address during this period, ensure you have let the Department of Home Affairs know. 

What is the waiting time for a ceremony?

The waiting time for a ceremony date varies between three to six months after you have received your letter of approval from the Department of Home Affairs. Note that the waiting time starts from the date of approval, not the interview date. 

When will I receive the details confirming my ceremony?

The Town endeavours to give you as much notice as possible of your ceremony date. You will receive a letter of invitation at least four weeks prior to the ceremony.

Do children need to attend citizenship ceremonies?

Children aged 16 years and over are legally required to attend their citizenship ceremony and take the citizenship pledge to become an Australian citizen. Children under the age of 16 are not legally required to take the citizenship pledge, but are welcome to attend the ceremony and are encouraged to take the citizenship pledge where possible. 

I have lost my citizenship certificate, what should I do?

Call the Perth office of the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 81.


If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?