Building policy and regulation

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS)

The Building Act and Building Regulations regulate the construction and/or demolition of buildings and structures, and the occupation of buildings. In most instances, in addition to requiring development approval, a building permit is required to be obtained from the Town of Victoria Park prior to commencing building works. 

Please refer to the'Do I need a permit?' page to find out if a building permit is required for your proposed building work. 

Related information 

Building Act 2011

Building Regulations 2012

Dividing Fences Act 1961 

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS)

Building Code of Australia

The Building Code of Australia (BCA) contains technical provisions for the design and construction of buildings and other structures, covering such matters as structure, fire resistance, access and egress, services and equipment, and energy efficiency as well as certain aspects of health and amenity. 

In Western Australia the BCA is adopted through the Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012. The BCA sets out the minimum level of performance that a building must meet. It also references a number of other documents, such as Australian Standards, as a means of demonstrating compliance with the performance requirements. The BCA does not cover all aspects of a building. Matters not relating to safety, health, amenity and sustainability in the design and performance of a building are not covered by the BCA - nor are workmanship issues in respect to paving, tiling, cabinet works etc. When not covered by the BCA or Australian Standards, these aspects may be subject to requirements under the building contract or manufacturers' recommendations. 

To download a copy of the National Construction Code series, visit the Australian Building Codes Board. The BCA is reviewed and amended every year incorporating any updated references, information or new references. 

Australian Building Sustainability Association (ABSA)

If you are creating a habitable room, you are required to obtain an Energy Efficiency Compliance Certificate as listed on our Building Checklist.  Please refer to the ABSA website to locate an accredited assessor. 

Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)

For premises that require disability access, please refer to the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992 for building standards. 

Signage Requirements

Effective 21 May 2019, the Local Planning Policy (LPP) 38 - Signs provides guidelines and requirements to signage in the Town of Victoria Park.  To find out if a proposed sign requires Development Approval and/or Building Permit, please refer to Local Planning Policy 38 - Signs.

Rules for Pools and Spas

Swimming pool enclosures must be in place and in compliance with the Building Regulations 2012, A.S. 1926.1 and the BCA and inspected prior to use of a swimming pool/spa.  Please refer to the Department of Commerce's rules for pools and spas. 

If you've encountered a problem with the website or have any general feedback, please provide comment via this form.

Was this page helpful?